The Gift Exchange Center
In 2004, Judge Kovack established the Gift Exchange Center (also known as the Supervised Parenting Time & Safe Exchange Center) to provide a place where children can develop healthy relationships with both parents, while teaching parents more effective ways to interact with the children and more appropriate ways to communicate with each other.
- WHO: The the Gift Exchange Center is available for at-risk children and families of Medina County. With the help of a recent federal grant, the Gift Exchange Center has expanded both the hours of operation and services to allow for self-referrals, out-of-county referrals, or referrals from other community partners for families affected by domestic violence.
- WHAT: The Gift Exchange Center staff supervise the parenting time to ensure that appropriate interactions and activities occur.
- WHEN: Monday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Tuesday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and from 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.; and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- WHERE: The Gift Exchange Center, 4046 Medina Road, Medina, Ohio 44256.
- WHY: By limiting exposure to high-conflict situations (e.g., civil protection orders, etc.) and/or inappropriate behavior (e.g., drug abuse, alcohol abuse, physical abuse, etc.), the Court is providing a place where children can develop healthy relationships with both parents, while at the same time teaching parents more effective ways to interact with the children and more effective ways to co-parent.
The Court administers the Gift Exchange Center with the help of The Battered Women’s Shelter of Summit and Medina Counties. To register, please contact the Gift Exchange Center’s Lead Monitor at (330) 725-0132.