Guardians ad litem
- A guardian ad litem (GAL) is someone who is appointed to assist the Court in its determination of the children’s best interest.
- Guardians ad litem are typically attorneys who maintain an active practice in the area of domestic relations and/or family law.
- The guardian ad litem is appointed by the Court to represent the best interest of the children.
- The guardian ad litem is required to maintain independence, objectivity and fairness in dealings with the parties.
- Because the guardian ad litem represents the best interest of the children, the guardian ad litem cannot advocate on behalf of any party.
- The primary role of the guardian ad litem is to investigate the circumstances of the parties and the children, and then to report back to the Court regarding the investigative findings.
- The guardian ad litem will then make a recommendation regarding the children’s best interests.
- The parties are required to make an initial deposit $600.00 (or $300.00 each).
- In most cases, the guardian ad litem fees are billed at $50.00/hour for out-of-court time and $60.00/hour for in-court time.
- The total amount billed will depend entirely on the facts and circumstances of your case.
- There is no minimum or maximum that can be billed.
- 2009-Ohio-3787, Gunderman v. Gunderman (9th Dist. Court of Appeals)
- 2010-Ohio-4399, In re K.G. (9th Dist. Court of Appeals)
- 2012-Ohio-3736, Nolan v. Nolan (4th Dist. Court of Appeals)
- 2012-Ohio-5053, Seymour v. Hampton (4th Dist. Court of Appeals)
- 2013-Ohio-5809, Habo v. Khattab (11th Dist. Court of Appeals)
- 2014-Ohio-248, Phillips v. Phillips (9th Dist. Court of Appeals)
- 2014-Ohio-4327, Pirkel v. Pirkel (9th Dist. Court of Appeals)
- 2014-Ohio-5127, Miller v. Miller (4th Dist. Court of Appeals)
- 2015-Ohio-2088 In re Ma. P. (9th Dist. Court of Appeals)
NOTE: The Court is prohibited by law from offering legal advice. The information and forms on this website are not intended to be a substitute for good legal advice.
Domestic Relations Court
99 Public Square, 2nd Floor
Medina, Ohio 44256
Phone (330) 725-9740